> Larger Family Life - A Large Family Blog: In our thoughts: The Duggars

Saturday, 12 December 2009

In our thoughts: The Duggars

I woke up this morning to hear the news that the Duggar family had welcomed their 19th child into the world three months early.

Mother Michelle Duggar had been admitted to hospital earlier this week with gallstone problems which had resulted in causing contractions even though baby was only at 25 weeks gestation and not due until March 2010. Baby Josie Brooklyn was born by emergency caesarean section on Thursday evening weighing just 1lb 6oz.

I am feeling very sad that this family is having to go through such a worrying and difficult time, and my thoughts and prayers are with them completely.

However, reading the comments on other sites has opened my eyes to just how spiteful and nasty some people can be toward them. Regardless of opinion on whether or not you agree with large families, here is a tiny baby fighting for her life. I'm shocked at the hatefulness some people have and the vitriolic comments that are made even during a time when a family is going through a parents worst nightmare of perhaps having to face the loss of a child. Opinions are fine, everyone has them. But there is a time and a place. The time is not now.

Although never having gone through the same thing (thank God), I know what it's like to receive negative comments in times of need. Even though we experienced our seventh and eighth miscarriages last year, we have often had to deal with the reaction along the lines of "Well, you have [x amount] children already". After my third loss I was told how "You already have two children. What on earth do you want any more for?". And that was by a nurse while I was in the waiting room after the scan confirming that I had lost the baby. I once read a large family article online where the journalist stated that the children of small families were more precious. Oh really?

My thoughts and prayers are with them. That their baby girl grows stronger with each breath and she will return home with them one day and that they have the strength and the faith to get through each long second, minute and hour.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting tis. The Duggars are in my prayers that little Josie recovers and grows strong. It is unreal to me how hatefl some people can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fall in a weird place as a large family. We have 4 (and would have had more had God not shut that door).
    We are too big to b considered "normal" and to small to be considered big!
    lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow...I knew she was pregnant again..but I didn't realize that they had the wee one already and so soon. :( I will keep them in my prayers. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thoughts and prayers are of course with the baby and the family but it was bound to happen when you have that many children. They have been blessed with so many healthy children I think they were pushing their luck tbh. She is approaching the far side of a safe age to have children regardless of how many one has had.

    None of us are in a position to tell anyone they can't have as many as they want and I wouldn't presume to do that. I appreciate that they can take care of them all and are not depending on public funds. [and I am not implying large families do]

    I am blessed with the two I have, and they didn't come easy but I wouldn't presume each child in a large family isn't cherished..that is absurd I would hope all children born are cherished and loved.

    I am no doctor but I wonder if the body can't just get tired....

    Thanks for the interesting post and thank you for letting me say my piece.

    PS I work in a hospital that has a neonatal ICU and I know the tough road ahead for a baby that small...again.. my prayers for a healthy outcome

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen.
    It is sad how our society views large families. I only have four kiddos but recieved much negativity while carrying my fourth. I thank God that my church community is so supportive of larger families that is the only place I see children viewed as the blessings they are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well said. They too are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My thoughts are with them. If they want 19 children, well then good on them for having the heart and spirit to care for that many. I struggle with 2 but would have loved more. Ok maybe not quite that many but 2 more would have been very welcome in our house

    ReplyDelete
  8. Prayers for the Duggar family - have you ever noticed that though there are many negative reactions for large families - none of these large families (that I'm aware of) criticise those that have chosen not to have a large family!!! Makes me think it's just because by having more children than the "norm" we are challenging others and they get defensive! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Duggar family {Michelle especially} are my heros!! They are such inspirational people, and it truly breaks my heart for them to have to go through this as well. I pray for all of them right now in their time of need also!! And yes, people are soooo mean when they post comments about them. My opinion... if you don't care for them, don't be on the internet judging them or even reading about them, they are far better parents than many with one or two!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I greatly admire the Duggars. They are a wonderful God-fearing family who aren't afraid to stand for their beliefs. I too am apalled when I read some of the hateful comments that people make about them. Sure people have their opinions, but there is just no excuse for the cruelty. And it really saddens me when I hear Christians saying that Michelle is crazy etc. We need to keep this wonderful family lifted up in prayer. And I hope that little Josie pulls through

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment before you go!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...