If you are a regular reader of this blog you've probably gathered that one of my children in particular likes to cook. Remember this video of Paddy making foil baked salmon? He's doing well for a three year old and I'm looking forward to a number of nights off of having to make the family meals in a few years.
So when I was asked if we might be interested in reviewing a copy of "Annabel's Kitchen - My First Cookbook" I thought that this would be something that the little guy would love to take a look at.
I was right.
When it arrived he spent ages looking through the book. Now, although the book is a companion to the "Annabel's Kitchen" television series, we do not watch television so had never seen it and had no idea what to expect. The book alone held his attention and it wasn't long before he was pointing out all the things he wanted to help make.
It turns out that Annabel Karmel is helped by her trusty penguin friend, Jimmy, who accompanies her throughout the book with hints and tips. Together they help to encourage and teach children aged four and up how to cook and have fun while doing it.
Rather than sticking to one the usual breakfast bars and cookies and cake recipes (of which there are a several included), there are also recipes for actual meals to get the taste buds going including Paella, Chicken Korma, Souffles and our own favourite so far, the Tuna Pasta Bake. I was very impressed with the vast range and variety of different foods and courses to choose from.
Caitlin soon grabbed the book to make the Naan Bread with Sultana recipe on page 84. Quick and easy to make this seems to have become a lunchtime treat for us all. They are delicious eaten warm straight from cooking and have proven very popular.
There are quite a few recipes calling to make the products into faces presumably to encourage fussier eaters to try something different or simply to make them fun, although to be honest the occasions where I have either the time or the inclination to fiddle about with such details several times over are going to be few and far between. Having said that, if I was preparing for a birthday or other special, fun occasion I might consider making the effort and there are plenty of good ideas to choose from.
We haven't tried all the recipes yet but we do have plans for the next few things to be getting on with. All in all, the book has got the thumbs up from the whole family and if you're looking for something to get your kids creative in the kitchen I wouldn't look any further.
You can buy "Annabel's Kitchen: My First Cookbook" on Amazon for £7.31 (normally priced at £12.99)
Full disclosure: I received a copy of the book free of charge for the purpose of this review.

Tweet
Subscribe to Larger Family Life and get the latest news directly in your inbox or reader. You can also join us on Facebook and Twitter too!









Sounds like a great recommendation. 4 of the kids like to cook, and although the girls are very competent, the boys are just learning still. I'll get my mum to send one over from the UK.
ReplyDeleteDo you remember Marion from Nappy Lady work? If you do get an opportunity to watch the tv series, or if they have photos in the book, her daughter Eliza (called something else in the show) was part of the tv series.
ReplyDeleteI do think it is a good book for parents and children alike. It was the variety that did it for me.
ReplyDeleteSandra, I may need to send the book over to get it signed!
Ooh Eliza would love that!
ReplyDelete