I never had a picture of a flashy car on a black background in a cheap, plastic frame. But I saw them. And I thought to myself that one day maybe.....
But instead I drive this...
A bright blue, 13 year old, 11 seater minibus. Which doesn't have a working window winder on the drivers side, meaning that you need to use a pair of pliers to open and close the window. And the heater doesn't properly demist the windscreen. And the radio is broken. We did sort out the deafening screeching sound it made when you turned the steering wheel though. And it got through its MOT ok.
I hated it when we first got it. I hated it so much I couldn't sleep. I couldn't believe that a vehicle could be so slow that a milk float could overtake it. It was! But Mike suggested I gave it a week and see how I felt about it.
Now I love the little bus! It's amusing to see the looks we get when it's packed with people, like a little blue tin of sardines with windows. But the best thing is that it works! It gets us around safely and reliably. We didn't get into debt for anything flashier and it does the job it's intended for and it does it well. And another good point is that it has another two seats going spare... at the moment! ;-)
So it's not what I thought I'd have back in the eighties, but life doesn't always turn out the way you think. It turns out better!







One of my friends will be driving something like this next year I reckon - she has 6 boys, all under 7 (max!) and is pregnant with triplet girls (with some expensive help!) so she'll have (God willing, and he seems to be so far) NINE kids under the age of 8!!!
ReplyDeleteWe sold my 7-seater Patrol and I soooooo miss it - OK, so we have two other cars, enough seats between them and don't go out ALL together that often anyhow, but that's not the point really. I kinda fancy a minibus myself but with 'only' four kids and eldest off to Uni next year, I guess he's not gonna let me have one, even if my parents are moving down so we could potentially be 8 going out together sometimes!!
I've got friends here with a former band bus, also navy blue, similar size to yours, and they only have 2 kids, but 2 big dogs and a lifestyle that uses the space, and a UK friend with 4 kids and an old blue minibus - it's the in-thing for us family peeps, obviously!
Jax
Wow, I think your friend and I would get along just great! A minibus might be needed once your parents are there too. I'm planning my fifteen seater ;-)
ReplyDeleteTania
Maybe I should put you in touch - sounds like you'd hit it right off LOL! I think she's got over the shock of all three beanies sticking now, so she's got plenty of time to get her head round having quite so many kids!
ReplyDelete